Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Mice - Day 2



It's nice in the garage... plenty warm.  It's not so nice outside... currently 9F. 
Sure glad my Dad insulated the garage.  I put a register out here in the pipe than runs to the loft.  Works so well it'll melt the snow off the cars.  My poor new car is outside but if I work on the CXFE then I don't watch as much TV. I never watched that much when I was working 'cause I was never home, but I admit, I've enjoyed the football.


Pulled spark plugs and squirted some oil down in the cylinders.     
The discoloration is where the fuel ran down the engine and turned to varnish.  
The bike sat in a barn for years. It doesn't smell like it did but this is after the first two cleaning attempts. It remains to be seen how bad the fuel tank is.

 Removed the access plugs and turned the engine over with a wrench on the end of the crankshaft.

 The engine turned over freely with a wrench... 
that's a relief... 
I'm thinking I can get this thing running.


Inspection whole on the transmission... 
It's used to determine crankshaft position when adjusting the valves.... 
looks nice and clean in there... that's encouraging


 It did, however make an odd sound.  I figured leaves and stuff in the fan shroud maybe.
So, I pulled the Radiator and... Uh, huh.  Some mice had made another nest in there.

Cleaned it out but need to pull it really. 
If nothing else these fans are famous for cracking so I need to inspect  the back side
I need to make a puller... appears to be just a 12mm bolt will work?

This is the new lift... handy

This will go... we don't need no stinkin' speedometer
The indicator lights will be relocated

I may keep the tach... going to try to remove the faceplate for an industial look.
I also want the temp gauge.

Getting to be quite a pile of parts... much of this will not be put back on... the idea is too slim it down about 130lbs... add 20-30 hp and let 'er rip.

An inspirational video from down under

No comments:

Post a Comment